Sunday 27 May 2012

Visible Reminders of Illness

Every so often the question arises about whether it's 'better' to have a visible illness or an invisible one.

Outward signs of illness can be really helpful to remind others of our limitations - my joints may be screaming in pain, I may be nauseous, dizzy and on the verge of fainting, but these things are all easily overlooked if people aren't suspicious and/or don't know me. Because I tend to smile a lot, even the doctors treating me can get quite a shock when my test results start to come back showing me as much sicker than they expected.

I don't like to tell people when I'm not feeling well. In fact, some of the time I don't even admit to myself that I'm not feeling well. Sometimes this backfires on me, meaning that I try to adjust and adjust and adjust my perception of 'my normal' until it's completely unavoidable.

Over the last couple of months I have spent more time in hospital than out of it. All of a sudden I have quite a lot of very visible signs that all is not right with my body. I have a permanent IV line sticking out of my chest, which is used to provide constant fluids, and through which I will shortly be receiving most of my nutrition. I'm waiting for a feeding tube into my small intestine, which will be used for small amounts of nutrition and some medications. My doctors have started to talk about the need to replace my manual wheelchair (which I only use part-time) with an electric wheelchair.

It would be very easy to think of this as reflecting a serious decline in my physical health. What I'm trying to do instead is be grateful that my body is now receiving the support it needs in order to function. I have been mostly housebound and constantly symptomatic for longer than I like to admit. I hope that these new interventions will improve my quality of life and allow me to get (and stay!) out of hospital.

Of course I'm still a bit scared of looking after the new tubes and handling new medications and processes. It will take time to adjust to the way my body now looks, and to having a constant companion in the form of a feeding pump to carry around with me. I still need to learn how to explain the changes to the people around me, and of course I'm still grieving for the loss of my ability to eat normally, and all the social changes that brings with it.

But essentially I'm still me! I might even be a more energetic and rosy-cheeked version of me once I get some decent nutrition. I'll certainly still be wearing lipstick, nail varnish and beautiful shoes. Most of all, though, I will be grateful for the continued opportunity to live this wonderful and precious life.

No comments:

Post a Comment